Essentially the entire world was covered by indigenous societies,
already living at the maximum sustainable carrying capacity of the
land (for how they lived) until the Neolithic Revolution in the middle
east from which eventually came cultures that spread around the world
forcefully wiping out other cultures by various means (violence,
disease, etc.) both intentionally and non-intentionally.
Interestingly, very few indigenous cultures have ceased to exist
because it's members decided to adopt another way of life on their own
free will.

There is a distinction between sustainable and immortal. A sustainable
culture is not immortal can still be wiped out by external forces such
as natural disasters, and other people.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of indigenous cultures that have
wiped themselves out because of non-sustainable ways of life, but
there are also thousands who did not (the ones that existed for tens
of thousands of years, and have been only recently wiped out).

Nevertheless, many indigenous cultures still exist around the world,
although they are still disappearing rapidly. The United Nations
estimates that there are about 300 million indigenous people living in
the world today (about the population of the United States) in their
traditional manner. I realize that the term "indigenous" is somewhat
vague, and this number probably changes rapidly depending on your
definition of the word.

Tyler