The cable is fine as near as I can tell, though it is different at the
top end than the one out of the diesel.  The diesel one is round on the
end, fits in a round hole and is held in with a c clip.  The one on the
2.6 and other gas cars is simply a square plastic piece that slides and
locks in a square hole on the bracket.  I have it to where its not
exactly fitting tight and locked in like it should but does stay put and
fits on the ball like it should with no slack.  Also, pulling the cable
out and releasing it, it goes back like its hooked up at the tranny end
like it should.

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,