we have something in this country called "rule of law" (as opposed to your
country where you let foreign nations kidnap your citizens because they say
things that offend the german government).  states are sovereign entities
here that enter into a voluntary union with other states.  the traditional
understanding is that these states can leave the union just as they entered
it.

a young man joins a gang and then realizes that  the gang is not really the
best course of action.  so he leaves the gangs, only to be hunted down and
murdered by other members for leaving.  when we hear a story like this, we
recoil in horror at this behavior as it violates so many of our ideals
regarding law and morality.  it is barbarism and it is unacceptable.

yet, when a president engages in such a deranged murderous orgy on a large
scale, we declare him a national hero rather than denounce him as the sick
rogue he is.