From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of R A Bennell
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 1:23 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] 115 300D still won't start

I checked the glow plugs etc and they appeared to be ok - the expansion wire
glowed orange too. I had a new set so
I put them all in but it did not help at all. I am starting to wonder if I
have run it low on fuel. I knew I was
getting toward the bottom of that tank given the mileage on the trip
odometer etc but was waiting for the low fuel
light to come on before refilling. I have about 350 miles on the tank
according to the trip odometer. I have gone
further than that but only in warmer weather with all highway driving. This
tank is while it is cooler and has some
urban driving so I may not have much left in th tank. I am wondering now if
that light may have malfunctioned. So,
before I dig any further, I am going to pick up a 5 gallon can of diesel and
pour it into the tank. I might even
change out the fuel filter as I have never done that in my 4 summers of
driving it. I also got some of the small
clear filters but the car did not have one originally and I have never put
one in so I cannot crawl under and look
for fuel or for crud in the filter either.

My initial thought was the glow system as I drove the car on Saturday and it
ran like normal. I went to help my
brother-in-law do some electrical work and install a roof vent in his new
garage. That is about 45 minutes away. I
drove out there on Saturday morning and the car sat on the street from 10:30
to about 8:00 PM and then started
normally and drove fine for 45 minutes home in the dark. Maybe I am lucky
that I made it into the garage. I did not
use it at all on Sunday and then Monday morning, it would not start. It
cranks and it tries to fire and it smokes a
cloud out the back but it does not start. Will add some fuel and see if that
resolves the problem. My recollection
is that it may take a fair amount of cranking if there is now some air in
the lines.

Randy