Thanks for the info Peter, how does one check the condition of the diff mounts in car? Also according to the official MB line on sub-frame removal the exhaust has to come out, part of the SLS has to go, blah blah blah, fuel lines, more blah blah blah. Personally I'd be more inclined to remove the brake calipers instead of messing with brake fluid, as my car has ABS it is going to be more technical to bleed the system. I found a website which shows a home made tool http://mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=149722 which don't look too hard to create. A member of the Ozbenz forum beat me in an ebay auction for the proper MB tool to do this job and I asked him if he'd be interested in selling me the tool after he has done his cars but I think by the time that happens I'll be too old to do much of anything, except talk about the good old days when I was able to work on cars and chase nursey around the old folks home. Although according to Murphy's law, the minute you finish the home made tool (after much cursing and burning of hands) the phone will ring.

Hendrik

Peter Frederick wrote:
In that case, jack the car up in the rear and support on jack stands. There are four mounts, the front ones go in one way, the rears the other.

You will need to drop the exhaust (not remove, just lower). You may need to remove the speed sensor at the differential to prevent pulling the wires off as well.

Remove the two bolts, one front and one rear while supporting the subframe with a jack, then lower the subframe until you have sufficient clearance to use a cup type puller to remove the mounts. A piece of plastic pipe and some steel plate should work, but they may be pretty well stuck. As noted, one goes in from the top and I don't remember at the moment which one it is.

Once the old ones are out, pull the new ones in (silicone grease or dish detergent will make this much easier), lift the subframe back up, and install new bolts. All the necessary bits come with the new mounts.

Repeat for the other side.

Watch for stress on the brake lines -- you may want to remove them. This is a good time to change the brake fluid if you have not recently, too.

If you also need new differential mounts and rear suspension links, it's only requires removing the driveshaft and brake lines to drop the entire subframe off the car....

Peter