Donald Snook wrote:
That's a ridiculous statement.  If you don't know how to work on a
car, you shouldn't own one? Is that what you are saying?  Well, I
guess that means there are MILLIONS of people who shouldn't own a
car.  Keep in mind there are some things that are not worth the time
to do instead of paying someone else. (What is the value of my time)
There are a lot of things on cars, I that I don't know how to do.
There are a lot of things that I could do, if I wanted to take the
time.  There are also things that I do because 1. I know how to do
them and 2. I enjoy doing the work on them.  But, your suggestion
that because someone doesn't know how to do something, they shouldn't
own it is crazy.

I think what he was getting at is MB's are very maintenance intensive, and if you have to pay to get the work done, they quickly become money pits. It may very well be cheaper to get a newer vehicle (as Steve did). I think Steve knew how to replace the item, but didn't have the time and/or desire to replace it.

John