back in the day, i was a strong believer in "you gotta fix your own car."
after many many minor injuries and many broken parts (including setting a
buick on fire), i concluded that i'm just too old for this shit and started
paying people to do it for me.

i used to also believe in being my own electrician, plumber, heating/ac guy,
etc.  i would spend days sorting out the problem, hurting myself and
breaking things all throughout the process.  and then after investing 30 or
so hours of labor and half fixing the problem, I proudly proclaimed myself
the manly man.

nowadays, i call "big john" from irish electric.  he is a master
electrician, both in fact and certification.  "big john" figures out and
repairs in 15 minutes what took me 30 hours, does it better than i did it
and doesn't break anything.

do i today feel less manly?  sure.  do i today feel more practical and
intelligent?  absolutely!

I have to agree with snook here.  in the end, if you can fix your car and
enjoy doing  it and it doesn't hurt you too badly and you don't spend
important time on it you should be spending on other things, then more power
to you as you are the manly man!  if, however, you can't meet the above
criteria it might just make more sense to hire someone to do it for you and
still drive an automobile rather than downgrading to a scooter or bicycle.