I have several chunks of large square timber - 12X12 by 16 to 24 inches that I
keep in the garage and tuck under
the vehicle too along with the jack stands as a bit of a safety cushion if
things go bad.

One nice thing about 4X4 pickup trucks. Often sufficient room to crawl under
and do things without jacking it up.

Other things can happen too. I think I reported this incident on here a while
back. I was replacing the clutch in
our old 4Runner and went home one afternoon to work on it. No one else home. I
was putting stuff back together and
reached my arm up in over the tranny against the bottom of the cab floor. I got
my hand stuck and could not get it
back out. Had a bit of a panic attack as I wondered how in the heck I was going
to get back out of there. I did not
relish the idea of laying under the darned thing while my good wife loosened
the tranny cross member to lower it a
bit. That sounded risky to me. I sort of like being round rather than flat.

In any event, I soon decided that if I got my hand in there, I should be able
to get it out and so I wiggled it
around and tried different approaches until I did get loose.

Randy