It is usually the top guides that get cooked over the years because there is more heat at the top of the motor. The tensioner should be alright as it is tensioning rail that gets the wear as opposed to the whole assembly. Matter of seeing if you can inspect it from the top.
However I know bugger all about the MB Diesel engines.

Hendrik

Wilton Strickland wrote:
Me, too, but what's all this "talk" 'bout just running a new chain in behind
the old one.  What do I REALLY need?  Chain, tensioner and guides?    How
many guides?  Rusty sent chain and one short guide.  Did I not know enough
to ask the right questions or order enough parts?  Is running a new chain in
extremely simple (if ya don't drop something, skip a tooth, etc.), and
replacing tensioner, guides, etc., much more complicated?  Do you have to
take that front cover on the engine ("chain cover") off anyway for any or
all of it - what's the difference?

Wilton