I dont' know about the tensioner slide, but to remove the other one you have to pull the front cover, and that really means pulling the head since the head gasket seals the front cover to the front of the head. No need to replace them if they are not badly worn, though, and the 603 doesn't wear guides much.

Peter

On Feb 23, 2009, at 5:44 PM, Wilton Strickland wrote:

What about tensioner rail, and the guiding rail down near the crank? Guide
Rusty sent is the upper guide rail.

Wilton

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wilton Strickland" <wilt...@nc.rr.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Timing chain switch

Me, too, but what's all this "talk" 'bout just running a new chain in
behind
the old one. What do I REALLY need? Chain, tensioner and guides? How many guides? Rusty sent chain and one short guide. Did I not know enough to ask the right questions or order enough parts? Is running a new chain
in
extremely simple (if ya don't drop something, skip a tooth, etc.), and replacing tensioner, guides, etc., much more complicated? Do you have to take that front cover on the engine ("chain cover") off anyway for any or
all of it - what's the difference?

Wilton