On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> You must remove the calipers to replace the rotors, but they are usually
> fairly easy -- just take out the small hex socket screw and they SHOULD come
> off.

To paraphrase Douglas Adams, this is obviously some strange usage of
the word "should" I wasn't previously aware of.  I have never
understood better the importance of the BFH as a tool of last resort,
nor swung it with more vigor nor more desperation, than when trying to
remove the rear rotors on my POS 300E.  There is a lot of surface area
in common between the rotor and the hub, and chances are they've had
twenty years to get to know each other better...

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo et al.