hi Dave!

being here in Berkeley, we see plenty of both BioD and VO use; i don't see much of what i'd call "bickering" between people in both camps, with the exception of those who don't know what they're talking about. ;-)

lots of misinformed people think they can do WVO because they think it's cheap, but don't realize the cost of setting a vehicle up to do it properly. (local scrapyards won't pay anything for a W123 diesel anymore because of the dearth of them that have been destroyed by doing VO badly.) even done properly, conversions seem to work best for people that have longer commutes, where the vehicle has a better opportunity to run at full temp for an extended period. lots of people initially think making BioD must be better, but don't immediately realize the issues related to dealing with Methanol and Lye (or K0H), the chore of moving the stuff through the process of making it, and the issue of disposing properly of the glycerin byproduct.

i agree; neither is superior, as they both have their issues and challenges. frankly, i count myself as fortunate that i have an excellent commercial dispenser of BioD convenient located, and just pay to not have to deal with any of it at all anymore.

   anyone want to buy a BioD Processor?   ;-)

cheers!

'85 300D (5 years/55K miles on BioD)

dave walton wrote:
That may indeed be the best decision for you, but I would caution
against basing the decision on the misinformation that has appeared in
this thread. This IS NOT a Biofuels list. The people with the most to
say on the subject here have the least amount of direct experience.
Truth be told, the amount of useful advice appearing on this list has
continued to decrease since Dr. Marshall Booth died. He was often
frustrated with the amount of background noise on this list, and there
was much less back then. I know this because I did my share of
creating it when I first joined and he politely called me to task for
doing so.

If you put the same energy you have seen displayed here by the
armchair quarterbacks dismissing biofuels into learning how to do it
properly - you will succeed. Unfortunately you will not find that
information here.

Within the biofuel hobby, you will find 2 camps that are continually
bickering: WVO and Biodiesel. I run cars on WVO and I make Biodiesel.
Neither method is clearly superior to the other in my mind.

-Dave Walton