Is it a Turbo? What kind of oil do you use? Have you checked the crankcase breather? Does it make any unusual noises at idle? How many miles?

Sincerely,
Tyler

On Jun 2, 2009, at 11:12 PM, Zoltan Finks wrote:

I'm following the wife as she drives our 87 190D and I notice smoke out the
tailpipe. Then I smell the burning oil.

Just when she accelerates.

Checked and it was about 1.5 qt. low on oil.

Filled it after it sat for a weekend, and hoped it wouldn't smoke as much when cool. But the first slight hill she climbed, there was the smoke and
smell.

The thing still starts right up and runs normally.

Oh Well!

Now we are weighing getting the engine fixed vs. just going a different
direction.

We just need a reliable car that gets the best mileage possible.

Wonder how much the ring job would be?

Or what else I can do to help the thing last a while.

Brian