From: "Zoltan Finks" <mmmmmsuchpo...@gmail.com>
I'm following the wife as she drives our 87 190D and I notice smoke out the
tailpipe.

Checked and it was about 1.5 qt. low on oil.

Filled it after it sat for a weekend

One thing Marshall was adamant about was letting a MB diesel seek it's own oil level. Don't let it run out of oil for sure, but don't keep it topped off either.

I would make sure it is getting up to temp (you did change the thermostat and it does work?) and drive the snot out of it. IIRC you live in the Pacific Northwest so mountains to blaze up with foot to the floor should be in abundance. You can also leave it in second (third?) around town to keep the rpms up. Italian tune-ups work best with a load, though, so mountain driving would be ideal.

The 16 grand plus money for a new Focus plus full coverage insurance plus interest on the loan plus maintenance work (new cars still need oil changes, tires, brakes, ect.) will buy a heck of a lot of parts (and labor for that matter) for an old Benz.

Just my opinion.

Rick Knoble