To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] More OIL Questions

Is the Shell Rotella a true API group IV based synthetic oil, or does it contain group III hydroisomerized petroleum based oil (which can legally be labeled synthetic)? I can't seem to get a real answer on this question, so I've always been afraid to use Rotella- since the group III oils aren't safe for extended drain intervals, and cause much faster timing chain "stretch" (and probably general metallic wear) according to Marshall.

My parents use Rotella in their VW TDI because it's cheaper than M1 and meets the VW factory specs, but I've been trying to convince them to use M1 instead.

When I search online I see adamant claims both ways for BOTH M1 and Rotella, so I just don't know anymore. The diesel engine motor only oil I'm 100% sure is a true group IV is Amsoil series 3000 5w30, but it's almost impossible to find and way overpriced.

Tyler

LarryT wrote:
Howdy!
   Shell Rotella is an excellent choice if Mobil 1 is not available\\

The type of Mobil 1 recommended for older diesels like ours is M1 Diesel Turbo/Truck Synthetic Oil in 5W40. If W'mart doesn't have it, try AutoZone or one of the FLAPS in your country. I rec'd a email reply from AutoZone saying all of heir stores carry the 5W40 M1 but they may not stock it. Each store should gladly order it from their distributor. It seems they have access to much more than they carry on their store shelves.

For more info on the Shell Rotella check out http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=rotella-en&FC2=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/product_rotellasynth.html

Else go to www.shell.com and search for Rotella T 5W40 (a fully synthetic Heavy duty engine oil for gas & diesel engines) if there's a problem with the link --
Good luck -
LarryT