To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] our 190D starts to burn oil

You'd probably be better off with 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck than 15w50.

There's a good chance that your oil burning is caused by stuck rings. I would try to run it hard as often as possible, and keep running Mobil 1 (hopefully 5w40). The carbon could clean out, and your compression return.

If your crankcase breather is clogged, it can also cause the blowby gases to force out past the oil seals, and make the engine blow oil out on the ground. This could be the cause of your oil loss, and the blue smoke could be an injection system issue.

I suppose it is possible for the engine to be just worn out also, with 300k miles!

Tyler

Zoltan Finks wrote:
We changed to Mobil 1 15/50 oh, maybe two months and a couple thousand miles
ago, maybe a bit less.

We haven't been driving it very hard I think. My wife probably drives it
moderately - pushes the pedal as hard as she needs to to get it up hills
without falling behind. She accelerates with the normal flow of traffic. But
nothing considered hard driving.

Yes, the thing was running too cool since we got it. I changed the
thermostat, oh, maybe 5 months and 3 - 4 thousand miles ago? Maybe less.

I have to say this is a glimmer of hope. I tend to be fatalistic about our
cars  especially when they have 300k mi. on them.

Not being that mechanically inclined, or at least experienced, I am just
sick and tired of worrying about our cars. So at this point I am just
throwing my hands up and saying let's get a newer reliable car and I will no
longer be on worry patrol.

We have been looking at Civics, and lusting after a new Insight.

Now we got advice to look into a new Ford Focus - especially in the current
auto market.

Of course, I also was thinking about fixing the engine and keeping the 190, because we love it and already own it. And it's a classic (in my mind) and drives and handles great and is more classy and unique than some run of the
mill newer car.

Thoughts?

Brian