Randy,

what you present is a great example of 11 people who need to learn how to drive! why is it you would present that as if the bicyclist was the problem?

driving so fast one can't stop within the distance they can see on a lane so narrow they couldn't avoid something as small as a bicycle seems like it would be addressed under the category of what our grandparents would have called 'Common Sense'. (lets ignore the fact that it is, of course, also illegal.) the fact that minimum legal lane width for highways is something like 14' while the average car is something like 10.5' really begs the question of why a motorist who isn't capable of avoiding a bicycle in that situation should be driving. 10 more cars following so closely that they can't avoid running into the car ahead of them? sounds like just 10 more examples of idiots driving.
   apparently, Common Sense ain't.

moreover, if that road is the cyclists best choice, how is that the cyclists fault? if there were a better choice of road, odds are the cyclist would use it. also, in many cases, if there's a decent shoulder the cyclist would use it it were possible; but it seems to be hit-or-miss as to whether or not it's maintained in a manner that makes it ridable. i've done my share of riding and touring around, and can vouch that riding next to full-speed traffic simply isn't typically the problem you present it to be, in spite of the fact that many shoulders are very poorly (or not at all) maintained.

here's something that might make your head explode; the fact that our roads ever began to be so well maintained in general that we're even able to drive them at 60 to 70 MPH is due in large part to efforts of the League of American Wheelmen (now the League of American Bicyclists) who lobbied heavily for better/paved roads.
   from http://www.bikeleague.org/about/index.php :
"...cyclists from across the United States joined the League to advocate for paved roads. The success of the League in its first advocacy efforts ultimately led to our national highway system."

green? uh, yeah, sure, whatever,... sure, bicycling is more environmentally friendly, but moreover, who amongst us couldn't stand to slow down a little, and/or get more exercise? what? no high blood pressure? no high cholesterol? no extra fat to spare? forgive the generality, but it seems that the people who complain about cycling like this the most are often the ones who could most benefit from it.

go for a bike ride and chill out a bit; see if you can come up with something slightly less ridiculous to add to the discussion! ;-)

cheers!

R A Bennell wrote:
Must be an awful mess to clean up all the wrecked cars and bodies when a
bicycle is on a 2 lane highway where
vehicles are travelling at 60 to 70 mph and one encounters a bike and there is
oncoming traffic and the lead car
hits the brakes and 10 more pile into the back of him. Yes, I really do believe
we must support those laws to
protect those nice green bike riding fools, oops, souls from the rest of us
fuel guzzling polluters in cars and
trucks.

Randy