I do an awful lot of riding on 2 lane highways and never had a problem like this. The highways are either wide enough for a bicycle and 2 cars to all pass one another side by side, or the speed limit is low enough for the cars to slow to bicycle speed safely before waiting to pass.

There are *some* high speed roads with lanes that are too narrow for this (usually called freeways), but I've rarely had trouble picking bike routes that avoid them. In rare instances if I do have to ride on one for a short period of time, I wait for an already slow moving car before entering the roadway, and get right in front of it in the middle of the lane. Since they're already going slow, the cars behind them are as well and no pileup occurs. Then cars can continue to pass one at a time as oncoming traffic allows, and I continue to have at least one slow moving vehicle behind me at any given time. This is annoying to both me and the drivers (but perfectly safe for all involved)- and is necessary only very infrequently, and can be remedied with better road design.

Tyler

R A Bennell wrote:
Must be an awful mess to clean up all the wrecked cars and bodies when a
bicycle is on a 2 lane highway where
vehicles are travelling at 60 to 70 mph and one encounters a bike and there is
oncoming traffic and the lead car
hits the brakes and 10 more pile into the back of him. Yes, I really do believe
we must support those laws to
protect those nice green bike riding fools, oops, souls from the rest of us
fuel guzzling polluters in cars and
trucks.

Randy