Just a wild guess - but could alink or two be rusted together and not
willing to go around a sprocket, or not willing to straighten out when it
gets to a rail? Sounds like it was open to the world for some time.

It was open for considerable time, but the exposed parts of the
chain are rust-free.  (I brought the car home 4.5 years ago, and
Casey had had it in his yard for at least a year.  Zippo has been
done since Casey got it, whenever that was.)  A kink would make the
chain awfully short, would it not?  If anything the chain is on
the loose side, not tight.  We probably need a new one, checking
the stretch was going to be the first thing done once we got it
rotating freely.  Even so a new chain wasn't considered until after
the engine was running.  The oil pump chain seems to be moving fine.

Take the chain completely out, inspect it, and see if the crankshaft
rotates without it installed. Then ...

Yeah, we might have to.  But to do that we have to break the
chain, which means a new master link in order to un-break it.
Probably deserves a new chain at that point, but again, we don't
want to spend any money on _this_ engine if it's crap.  A U-Pull
engine is within the budget, but of course there aren't any right
now.

Check for a loose bolt pin as well. You may also want to pull the vacuum pump and see if there is something in there beside the injection timer. A bolt or screw or something riding along on the chain will do this too....

What bolt pin?  We did remove the vacuum pump, for peeking
purposes.  No sign of trouble.  There is evidence that the kid
took apart more than we'd thought, the lower oil pan and the
vacuum pump were both red RTV'd, and all-new shiny flanged bolts
that are a bit too short.  Ominous.  No sign that the kid had
ever been inside the big oil pan, or had the tranny or clutch
off.

So will a tangle in the chain, but it won't fit that way -- too short.

It doesn't seem short.

Rusty cylinder wall?

Initially, yes.  Wouldn't turn at all.  Engine stored at TDC#1.
But some WD-40 down in the injector holes and some vigorous torque
on the crank bolt worked it loose.  Again, the range of motion is
now almost exactly 180 degrees.  Both directions 'clunk', one cleanly,
and one (CW) that wedges if you run into it too hard.  The mild
cylinder corrosion worked loose very quickly, these hard stops
don't move anymore.

-- Jim