I vote for a chain issue. As Craig said, pull the chain out completely, then see what happens.

A long time ago, I was working on an OM621 (basically similar to OM615-616) and dropped the center link of the master link when it slipped. The link dropped down in the chain cavity. I tried fishing around with a magnet, but had no luck. SO I hoped for the best, that it settled in the oil pan, and turned the engine over by hand. No luck. It would stick tight. Same if I turned it backwards.

I had to pull the engine. Link was stuck in the crank sprocket. The crank sprocket was badly worn. I had to buy a new sprocket and a new master link. On the OM621, the pan can only be pulled with the engine out of the car.