From: "Fmiser" <fmi...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2009 2:27:43 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 220D surgery

> Jim Cathey wrote:
> We've been starting to figure out means of pulling the
> engine. (I think some 2x6's endwise across the rafters
> will support my chain hoist. We've got three bodies, so
> removing the hood and general manhandling are well covered.)

If the rafters will hold, the 2x6's should be fine.

I built a A-frame hoist stand. The top beam is a pair of 10ft
2x6 in a 'V'. It just so happens the angle of the 'V' matches
the angle of the legs. I put a oak 1x5 (from an old pallet)
across the top in the center to deal with the abuse from the
chain to which the chain hoist was attached. I have pulled a
few Chevy small-blocks with transmission attached (117 mm manual
and 700R4 autos) with that rig.

-- Philip