I don't think the nighttime load of cars charging up will be anywhere near peak loads in evening, with ACs running, and all that kind of stuff. The grid can handle that easy enough. Plus, if there get to be too many of them, they can put controllers on the chargers that the power company can load-manage, like your elec hot water heater (we get a rate discount for having a controller on the water heater, it doesn't seem to ever kick in, but they can shut off the water heater instead of brown-outs or other load shedding at peak times). I don't know what the charge time of a car is, maybe 6 hr or so? Say over 10-12 hr at night that load could be modulated easy enough. And the idea to use them as mobile storage, if they are plugged in during the day, the grid could suck power from them instead of spinning up peaking units. Course that might reduce your charge to get home, but there are lots of interesting things you could do with that much manageable capacity.

--R

Allan Streib wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:27 -0400, "Rich Thomas"