Yes, it's over 10 days old, I'm slow. :)

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Fmiser<fmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> R A Bennell wrote:
>
>> No one seems to make any comments on these issues. It is all
>> about the environment and the utopian dream that we can carry
>> on without polluting anything. Nothing practical ever
>> mentioned.
>
> Unless the electric generating is pollution-free, the pollution
> is just moved.  Now, in the LA CA bowl, there is some merit to

Electric drivetrains are more efficient.  That's why hybrids get
better mileage even though they have a quarter-ton-plus more
equipment.  Also why diesel trains run generators and use electric
motors.

> that. Otherwise, the typical modern automobile engine is way
> cleaner than the coal fired electric plant.

I don't believe that at all.  Even the nuclear plants have diesel
backups, if it was really cleaner (= better efficiency) they'd be
using them all the time.  Coal scrubbers are pretty sophisticated, and
if you are producing a lot of power in a single area you can afford
much better filtration equipment than you can if you have a lot of
small spots to clean.  I think catalytic converters are a good idea,
but I don't think it makes the exhaust anywhere close to what a modern
coal plant outputs, much less nuclear.  Diesel by that logic is out of
the picture, I won't go there...

Random geeks, via Google, seem to agree with my WAG, though not quite
so overwhelmingly as I'd expected:
http://forums.treehugger.com/viewtopic.php?t=1034
Only comparing CO2, a quick scan found a mention of other pollutants
but it appears they are practically nothing after power generating.

> Now if we could get some fusion plants online....

Agree, the more the merrier.  Here in NC we still have a glut of
capacity, if you need it bring cash. :)

-Tim