Randy,

The EVers have come a long way.  I don't know anything about GM, but I had
the same questions with respect to custom EVs.

I never cease to be amazed that the journalist types who hype this stuff in
> the daily newspapers never seem to
> notice that there is not likely going to be any heat available in this nice
> little electric car. I live up here
> where the ground is white for a lot of the year. I want to know how long
> the battery will last when it is minus 25
> out and if I get electric heat as part of the deal.

Multiple solutions to this.  A lot of EVers are in New England, by the way,
so this is a serious issue.  Most custom EVs have fairly short ranges - like
20-40 miles - so as a consequence they are usually dedicated commuting cars
with a predictable schedule, and don't have to stay warm much more than an
hour tops.  In addition, many EVers have plugs at work.  It's a lot easier
to make changes to your trip habits than it is to add range. :)

The method that I prefer: set a timer and a regular old space heater in the
car.  Use a very small space heater; the car doesn't have much insulation,
but of course it doesn't have much air to heat either.  Comes on at 6 or
6:30am, leave at 7am and the car is toasty after heating using wall
current.  Small strip heater - or replug of space heater - maintains heat
during drive.  Plug in at work, same deal on the way home; you're probably
charged after the first few hours anyway.

Another option is just to use regular strip heat.  It plugs in directly to
your, say, 144VDC battery pack.  Run it to a thermostat.  Again, placement
is key: you want to heat the air, not the walls of the car.  Just like the
house, the heat isn't on all the time.  I've been ignoring the EVDL
recently, but I vaguely recall a loss of ~25% of range based on people using
strip heat the whole trip (from New England cold).

Also, keep in mind we're talking about a single- or two-person commuter.
When my W115 heater fan quit, I drove all winter with only bypass heat on
the highway. (I understand that's in NC, it's a different ball game for
you... all I'm saying is that you can put up with a fair amount once you
know what you want to do. :)

> I also want to know if the battery can sustain AC for my short trips around
> town in the summer.

The later Prius and 2008+ Ford Escape Hybrid use electric AC.  It's really
not that hard, heat is much worse in terms of electrical demand.

> No one seems to make any comments on these issues. It is all about the
> environment and the utopian dream that we
> can carry on without polluting anything. Nothing practical ever mentioned.

You'd enjoy the EVDL; it is very practical, and interesting (to me at least)
to read what people are doing to their cars - mostly our vintage, though I
still haven't seen any MBZs.  They don't do politics - that's a different
list. :)  I did find that many of the people who drive and have actually
converted electric vehicles don't care that much for the political side, and
shy away from the "everyone should drive an electric" mindset.  EVs have
plusses and minuses.

For me, I'd like a 30 mile electric commuter to take me to and from home.
Longer trips, trips to the store where I need trunk space, I'll take an
internal combustion engine.  I like the efficiency of electric motors, and I
understand them better than ICEs. (I'm getting better with diesels; however,
I don't think I'll ever fully comprehend carbs, and honestly I just dislike
messing with modern gasoline fuel injection with all its bells and
whistles.  Gas engines are not, to me, a fun way to spend an afternoon.)  I
also prefer electricity to gasoline as a thing I want to have around me
while driving on the road in an aging vehicle, but I've never witnessed the
joy that is plasma in person - still I do feel like I'm better equipped to
handle electrical problems than gasoline.  In any case it is a change in
habits, we'd probably need a third vehicle, and good components are pricey,
so I don't have one yet.

> Also have to wonder what happens when a couple of hundred thousand people
> plug their car in at night. Does the
> power go off all over or just in some areas? Do you have to shut off your
> house AC so you can charge up the family
> buggy?

All over.  No way the US infrastructure could handle it.

However, there are lots of increasingly-powerful electric goodies in our
houses.  It's not like no one has ever used electricity before.  If adoption
is incremental, utility companies who aren't aiming for bankruptcy should
observe increased utilization and ramp accordingly.  I live in one of the
most liberal cities in NC, on a block with a lot of very liberal and
well-to-do college professors [okay, they're mostly at the other end of the
block :], and I'm pretty sure only 5 or 6 of my neighbors would consider an
electric car - even if available retail - in the next decade, so I don't
think we're talking about a wholesale jump from ICE to EV in the forseeable
future.

On the other subject, I hate this idea of "MPG" ratings for electric or
electric-hybrid vehicles.  I've read an argument for "equivalent MPG" that
is based on what the vehicle got as an ICE, modified to include electrical
losses and exclude ICE frictional losses, but I think the whole concept is
silly.  With electric motors you can get efficiency numbers very easily; if
it weren't for the legacy of "MPG" it would be a completely nonsensical
rating.  Where there is a small delta in MPG between driving hard and
driving easy in an ICE, you can easily (from what I read :) double an EV
range by driving correctly, so how the test is run becomes more important
than the output.  I still hear people that think clock speed is the most
important number in a computer CPU, though, so I suspect that's a battle
I'll never win. :)

FWIW,
-Tim