From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of OK Don
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 9:19 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] ALTERNATOR LIGHT WOE

Having done this job on both Diesel and vergasser versions of the 124, I
can verify that they are in the same relative position.
That being said, I've also learned that when the brushes have been too
short for awhile, the rings in the alternator are often black or burnt,
or both. A little fine sandpaper cleaned up mine so the alternator works
again.

Hope this isn't a trend or epidemic, but my '92 300D 2.5 wouldn't start
this morning - just figured out that the battery is dead. Don't know
whether the
2 1/2 year old (84 month) battery is toast, or if the alternator isn't
charging yet. This is the only alternaotr in my collection that doesn't
have a new VR/brush pack yet. As it will be 20F in the AM, I hope
charging the battery out of the son's parked 190D will cure the
situation.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Alex Chamberlain
<apchamberl...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Now that I look at what I wrote, I think I've only done that job on
> the 300E, so I can't swear to the alternator on the diesel being in
> the same place, but it probably is---besides the obviously different
> stuff like the fuel injection system, ignition system (or lack
> thereof), and turbo (ditto), most everything under the hood is in more

> or less the same place on the OM603 and M103 cars.
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Dillon, Meade M CIV
> SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC, 53310 <meade.m.dil...@navy.mil> wrote:
> > Thanks Alex, uncharted territory for me and an easy approach to the
> > alternator definitely helps.
> >
> > Max

OK Don
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as
distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
The Devil's Dictionary
Ambrose Bierce