I think I've solved it.  Third day in a row with no sign of alternator
problems.  It's nice when they're easy!

Max

-----Original Message-----
From: Dillon, Meade M CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC, 53310
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:24 AM
To: 'Mercedes Discussion List'
Subject: RE: [MBZ] ALTERNATOR LIGHT WOE

As described, the job was too easy.  The VR seemed to be just fine.  I
noticed that the bail was off, it holds the plug into the back of the
alternator, so I pulled the plug out and cleaned the contacts up with
some Radio Shack contact cleaner.  Reinstalled plug and its bail,
checked voltage at the battery with engine running at idle (13.8 volts).
This a.m. there were no issues with the light coming on, so I may have
just had some dirty electrical contacts.  Also checked the belt, tension
was fine.  I did not have time to T/S any of the noises, which seem to
be mostly loose and rattling stuff, maybe this weekend I'll be able to
take a look.

Max