If you cut the tube, You HAVE TO use a double flare. Plan on several spoiled double flares before you get an adequate one. (more for a GOOD double flare.) I used to buy 2-3 chunks of tubing before I did a double flare, as it is not that expensive, and it stinks to have to make extra trips across town to get another chink because you ruined one. I usually bought 2-3 different lengths too, so I would have a useable length.

They like to sell you double flare kits, but you really don't need one, if you already have flaring tools. Just go to Snappy and buy the ONE double flare insert you need. They are 5-10 bucks each. You cut the tube to length, clamp it in the flaring clamp, insert the double flare tool stem into the tube with lube in the tubing side, the use the flaring toole to drive the double flare tool down on the tube to make a double flare.

I HIGHLY recommend buying a chunk of brake line at NAPA that is already flared with fittings. Spend your money on a Harbor freight tubing bending tool, if you don't already have one. It is nearly impossible to bend steel tubing without kinks if you don't have the bending tool. As others have said, you can use up excess length by adding a coil or coils. (or a zig-zag if there is not enough material for a loop)

The other thing I have done, is considered sacrilege. That is to cut off the bad section of pipe where there is easy access. fit the new tubing to where you cut the old tubing, and cut it for a butt joint. Use a compression coupling to join the old tube to the new. This will not pass a state inspection if you have one, and if the inspector is any good. I have never had a problem with this repair. The last one I did was 8 years ago, and it is still just fine.

Manufacturer doesn't need loops, he cut to exact length. Loops are commonly used to use up excess length. If you decide to cut and flare, YOU SHOULD USE A DOUBLE FLARE.

--

Peter Arnold