Mercedes makes this promise to every buyer of a used
Mercedes:

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/care/clientcare/roadside_assistance.jsp

In case you missed it:

"And here's a reassuring fact: Every Mercedes-Benz in
the U.S. - no matter how old, how many miles it's
logged or how many owners it's had - qualifies for
Roadside Assistance, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year."

That's a promise to every one of us. The St. Louis
dealership in question, NOT MB, is screwing up. MB
would NOT be happy with the action of that dealership.
This is a sellingh point for every used Mercedes, it
keeps resale values higher and Mercedes likes that b/c
it helps to sell new cars. ALSO, it keeps 'cars with
stars' OFF the side of the road, bolstering MB's
claims to reliability (however untrue that NOW has
become). This is not a prob with MB, it's a prob with
the local dealership not doing what MB wants.

After registering my 87 300TD with MB (so I can easily
use Roadside Assistance if I need it), a few weeks
later, I get a letter dated 1996, with a card (with my
name, address and VIN) and a new cover letter. It
explained the trap oxidizer removal campaign. I got a
COMPLETELY NEW exhaust system for free. They tracked
me down, the AT LEAST THIRD IF NOT MORE owner of that
car to beg me to allow them to put a new exhaust in,
new oxidizing cat and remove the trap. That's
MB...something good left about it.

Customer service is ultimately for the benefit of the
company - through loyalty, etc. Certainly works for me
- I'll play that game. And they DO get your biz when
you buy parts, even if not through the dealership if
they are MB parts, which mine almost always are (on
the SD and TD anyway).

-Chris

--- R A Bennell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Don't most of you think this thread is getting out
> of hand? There are more
> polite ways of telling people that they are being
> unreasonable.
>
> My basic feeling is that I bought a 30 year old used
> car privately and I
> have yet to set foot in the door at the local MB
> dealership. I don't plan to
> call them and ask for anything free if I have
> trouble with my car on the
> road. I do need to go over to the dealer and see
> what they can do about
> providing another key as I only have the one.
>
> Randy

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-1987 300TD, 150K miles, "Rotkäppchen" (Little Red Riding Hood)
-1985 300SD, 209K miles, "Wulf"
(http://www.pictureblogger.com/My-1985-Mercedes-Benz-300SD)
-1976 240D, ManyK miles,  "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen
= Alternative Fuel Test Vehicle) running
WVO/WMO/LO/CO/WATF/WGL/WBF/DA/MS/lard/gas/kero/D2 mix (do not attempt this
unless you are willing to sacrifice your IP, injectors, pre-chambers, etc.)
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"

http://mail.yahoo.com