From: "archer" <arche...@embarqmail.com>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 6:09 PM
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Best Porches

From: "LarryT" <l02tur...@comcast.net>
re the Porsches -
Those are correct comments - the 911SC of 83-87 are widely considered to > have bulletproof engines with some going 300K mi with never being opened up.
As far as the Targa - the targa roof can be frustrating to get it to seal
properly.  I rode in one recently that had supposedly been sealed by an
expert actually sounded like a window was partly open! It wasn't raining so I don't know if it was waterproof or not - but it definitely leaked air. The newer 911's are more powerful, smoother, quieter and faster - but they may also require the more expensive.
Are you planning to buy one?
Larry
My son would like to buy a fixer-upper and then he and I would fix it up in my shop on weekends. EBay has them from $8000 (a parts car or major fixer-upper) up to about $30,000 currently. We're just trying to get an idea of whats available, prices, whether the rich guys suggest was correct, etc.
Thanks,
Gerry Archer
'83 300D and 240D