Well first, I wouldn't restore any porsche worth less than $200,000, as
there are lots around that someone has already gone to the trouble and
expense to restore.  If by restore, he means make running, ok, but the two
are not the same.

The old saying, when the top goes down, the price goes up usually holds
true.  At the moment, in many places, coupes are out pricing both the cabs
and targa models.  If a Targa is done right, they are pretty tight, or as
tight as a 30 year old car can be.  Targa top parts are getting expensive to
get now.

There are used parts about for all porsches, as most were made in large
numbers.  I'm not sure about "cheap", but most are available....so far.  For
an example, what I paid for a few parts about 6-7 years ago, has gone up
more than 6x.  Lots of used body panels around, but putting right a damaged,
or really neglected Porsche body, be it a 365, 911, or 928, is VERY
expensive!  Again, unless it's something really special, I'd pass on such
cars and keep looking.

But yes, for the first time buyer, an SC is pretty good.  Again, I wouldn't
both restoring one, there are lots around for little money, just make sure
you have some cash set aside for things that go wrong, as they always do
with used cars, regardless of how well kept they are.  They're old and
they're used, that's why they cost a tenth of a new one. ;-)

Ed
300E