Gerry,

I don't think "fixer upper" is really the way to go, with a Porsche, or a
Ferrari.  The way to go is to save a bit longer, and get one that is well
sorted out.  No way you can buy a fixer upper and put it right, for the same
money that buying a good example will cost you.  There are a few cheap
porsches out there, old 924s etc, but once you get into the air cooled cars,
certain parts, if tired, are going to cost money.  Remember too, these cars
are old, and even though made in pretty large numbers, parts are becoming
more rare all the time, and, and that's reflected in the going price.

I don't want to put you off getting a Porsche, they're amazing cars.  I just
don't want you to get into something thinking you can save a bunch of money
going the "fixer upper" route.  You may get lucky, but, I feel far safer,
going with a good car, AND a PPI from someone who knows these cars.  I feel
it will give you and your son a much more pleasant ownership experience.
Besides, if you like to tinker, as most of us here do, even a good SC, is
now and old car, and will provide you with lots of weekend projects to keep
it in top shape.  I've already got my "to do" list all made out for the
coming season.

sunroof cable
sunroof seals
new heater hoses
front chin smile
left door stay....

Always something to stay on top of with old cars, but that's half the fun.
;-)

Good luck in your search.  If I can be of any help sharing my experience,
ding me.

Ed
300E