If by laying one up, you mean more than a winter storage, I would change all
fluids, completely clean the engine compartment and underside of any dirt
that could hold moisture, wash/wax the exterior, and treat the leather with
hide food.  I would fill the tank up, ensuring the gas has NO ethanol in it,
along with an added fuel stabilizer.  Drive the car until it is HOT, not run
it in the driveway.  Put it away, hot and dry.  Over inflate the tires to
prevent flat spotting, and use a light cotton dust car cover.  Make sure the
garage is dry.  Once stored, plug openings like exhaust or intake, to
prevent mice from getting in.  Stick a checklist on the steering wheel,
remind you of what to do, like removing the blocks from the tailpipe before
you start it again.  Remove battery, and put it on a trickle charger.  Don't
store with the emergency brake on, or in a garage that has a clothes dryer
in it.

Even doing all this, gaskets, seals, etc will deteriorate much faster than
if the car is kept in service.  I don't like to occasionally start a car,
unless you can get EVERYTHING hot again, which you can never just running it
in the driveway, without a proper load on it.

Some climates require cars to be stored for the winter.  Long term storage
is never appreciated by an car, or mechanical machine.  Storing them
improperly for extended periods, turns them into parts cars, or worse.  At
best, they become cars you're always chasing problems with.  Damp gets in,
grounds corrode, and you're forever chasing electrical problems.  And it
only gets worse.

If a car is going to sit for a few years, you have to ask yourself why
you're keeping it.  Sell it, and when you're ready to drive one again, buy
one that's been in constant use, and maintained.  You can get an old stored
car going again, but they're never the same, I don't care what anyone says.

Ed
300E