Mine has four power levels

As does my name-brand Hobart 135.  I thought that would suck,
but so far it's not been much of a problem.

It has a smoothly variable wire speed,

Ditto.

but the wire feed drive is pretty flimsy looking;

OK, there it's different, the Hobart seems generally well-built.
It's certainly heavy enough, as it's old-school iron and copper.
I did OK for $50 (and many hours restoring it to functionality).

The thing I most noticed about the HF units in the store is the
feel/quality of the switch on the gun.  Uck.  The duty cycle is
usually notably low on these welders, too.

Like many of their tools, though, I'm sure it's WAY better than
no welder at all.

-- Jim