From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Rich Thomas
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 10:29 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List; Banned List
Subject: [MBZ] OT Computer stuff - new Windows 7?

OK I have a whole new computer setup ready to go (AMD ADX635WFGMBOX
Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz 2MB Cache AM3 Quad-Core Processor , 4GB mem).  I
can boot it up on Ubuntu no problem.  I would like to set it up to run
Windows, I guess the newest version is Windows 7.  It seems to come in
various flavors, upgrades, OEM, etc. but exactly what they offer is
somewhat obscure even after reading about them.  I guess the pro or
ultimate versions would be the one to get as it has XP emulation and I
could put lots of my other programs on that box while keeping my XP box
up too (which I had to get a new mobo for as the other one got fried in
a lightning storm) -- I tried to put the other new board/processor in
the XP box but couldn't get it to boot properly with XP, wouldn't read
the CD, etc. so just got a $50 replacement mobo and it is happy now.  I
will set up a dual boot on the new machine, and run a virtual linux on
it too.

I guess it makes some sense to go with the new winders -- which version
would be recommended?

--R