On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Rich Thomas
<richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> wrote:
> OK I have a whole new computer setup ready to go (AMD ADX635WFGMBOX Athlon
> II X4 635 2.9GHz 2MB Cache AM3 Quad-Core Processor , 4GB mem).  I can boot
> it up on Ubuntu no problem.  I would like to set it up to run Windows, I
> guess the newest version is Windows 7.  It seems to come in various flavors,
> upgrades, OEM, etc. but exactly what they offer is somewhat obscure even
> after reading about them.  I guess the pro or ultimate versions would be the
> one to get as it has XP emulation

If you have a licensed version of XP, you can run it using VirtualPC
on the Home version of Windows 7 and save a Benjy or two (I can't
remember the price difference just now between Home and Pro).  Or you
can go the real skinflint route like me: the software I was running on
my XP machine also works on Win2K, so I bought a copy of the latter
(which has no authorization scheme like XP) on eBay and am running
that on VirtualPC.  Win2K has lower RAM requirements, and also doesn't
have the authorization nonsense of XP so can be installed as many
times as you want (works well on Linux with VirtualBox).

Alex