In the 60s and early 70s, BMW motorcycle tanks were all hand pinstriped. I changed my 70 /5 from silver/Blue to the classic Schwarz/weiss colors. I found a guy down by the river in Nauvoo, Il who was supposed to be good at hand pinstriping. After I had the tank painted Black imron, I took it to him for striping, which he said was no problem, as he had done many BMW tanks. I also asked him to do some additional lettering and scrollwork.

When I got the tank back, I was amazed at the artwork he had done. All by hand. I still have the tank. He told me that pinstriping was done with flat leather "brushes"

I think JCWhitney still sells the flat pinstriping brushes.

 > What about those JC Whitney striping kits, with the bottle fed stripe
 rollers and guide wheel to hold a straight line?

 Do they still sell those things?

I would guess, like most painting gadgets that are marketed to amateurs,
that you would have mediocre results.  If they were really so great, the
pros would use them, but they don't, they pinstripe by hand.

Same with professional house painters, they don't use all those edging
gadgets or even tape most of the time.  They have a good brush and they
cut in around trim and fixtures by hand.

Allan