On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Check for a filter at the base of the reservoir.  If you do have one there
> and it's full of crud, you may not be delivering enough fluid.

There's a filter inside the reservoir which I replaced, although it
didn't seem to need it.  The low-pressure line at the bottom of the
tank going back to the pump is clear.

> I would double-check the o-rings on the filter, and apply some gentle air
> pressure from the back side of the sintered filter to make sure it's
> allowing fluid through.  Could be clogged, and that would account for the
> low riding issue anyway.

That's a good thought.  (So that's what that material the filter is
made of is called!  I'd only ever heard the term "sintered" applied to
ceramics before.)

> So could a stuck pressure relief on the pump, for that matter -- no fluid
> delivery!

Makes sense; another reason to check the pump for pressure and replace
it with another used unit if necessary.

> You might want to bleed it a bit too -- open a fitting slightly on the front
> or rear and verify that you get fluid flow while the engine is running.

That I've done.  There is some fluid flow, at both the front and rear
bleed valves, and it was clear and free of air bubbles, although not
the dangerously high-pressure spray that I was expecting.  Possibly a
clue there.

Alex