Alex Chamberlain wrote:

Meaning that there's a reason for that little filter I found inside
the flow control valve to be a sintered bronze solid rather than
something less exotic, like a fine flat screen, for example?  Would
soaking it in brake cleaner as I did be enough to restore its degree
of restriction, if there is one, to specs?

My rear only system has a very fine nylon filter screen in the top of the reservoir, filtering the return fluid before it goes through the reservoir to the pump. When we had those sintered bronze things in carburetors, we used to replace them every time we replaced the spark plugs, or if we had a suspected fuel supply problem. Cost a dollar or less back then.

Mitch.