From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Alex Chamberlain
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 9:46 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 500SEL hydro suspension still acting up (or down)

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Jim Cathey <j...@windwireless.net> wrote:
>> I find it hard to believe that the hydraulic fluid tank is really a
>> pressure reservoir
>
> Can't be, it's plastic.  Would explode.

Yeah, that's what I thought.  The coolant overflow tank is plastic,
but then it's not connected directly to a pump putting out 2900 psi.

Unfortunately that mistake tends to make me take anything else that
Star Motors says about the functioning and repair of the system with a
grain of salt.

>> There also seems to be some disagreement as to whether the system
>> constantly recirculates fluid---in which case the health of the pump
>> would be extremely important---
>
> It must.  The pump is four radial pistons.  It's always pumping.

Right, let's stipulate, as our colleague Snook, Esq. would say, that I
already knew that.  ;)  The question I should have posed was, does the
main flow control valve allow the high-pressure fluid from the pump to
enter the rest of the system (i.e. the level control valves, struts,
and nitrogen spheres) at all times?  Or does it merely recirculate the
pump's output back to its input via the reservoir unless additional
pressure to compensate for added cargo weight is required?  Which is
the case with rear-only SLS?  (It's very likely the same answer for
both systems, I think.)

> Oh, and fuel filters can be sintered bronze.  Restrictors such
> as those in the vacuum system, etc.

Meaning that there's a reason for that little filter I found inside
the flow control valve to be a sintered bronze solid rather than
something less exotic, like a fine flat screen, for example?  Would
soaking it in brake cleaner as I did be enough to restore its degree
of restriction, if there is one, to specs?

Alex