From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Fmiser
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 1:10 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 500SEL hydro suspension still acting up (or down)

> Alex Chamberlain wrote:

> Right, let's stipulate, as our colleague Snook, Esq. would
> say, that I already knew that.  ;)  The question I should have
> posed was, does the main flow control valve allow the
> high-pressure fluid from the pump to enter the rest of the
> system (i.e. the level control valves, struts, and nitrogen
> spheres) at all times?  Or does it merely recirculate the
> pump's output back to its input via the reservoir unless
> additional pressure to compensate for added cargo weight is
> required?  Which is the case with rear-only SLS?  (It's very
> likely the same answer for both systems, I think.)

I can only speak as an authority on the S123 system...

The pump output goes into a hose with a anti-cavitation
restriction in it and then into the hardline that connects to
the valve inlet.  Unless the valve is positioned to supply
pressure to the struts (I'm lumping the accumulators in the
the struts 'caues for this discussion they work as a team),
the inlet flow is routed to the return line.  If the valve is
positioned to release strut pressure, the strut oil plus the
pump oil is returned to the tank.  The only filter is on the
return flow as it enters the tank.

This means most of the time the only place there is any
significant pressure is between the pump and the
anti-cavitation piece,  and between the valve and the struts.
The rest of the system is just flowing.

I suspect that is how the other systems work also - but that's
just a guess.

I have photos of the insides of the S123 pump and valve if
anyone cares.

--      Philip