There should be a large square-nut/follower that rides on the long threaded bolt. That is a split nut, and the nut should have a bolt from the top eye

I'm not picturing this.

Our car has a skinny little 1/8" long bolt that somehow
ties into the front of the big bolt going through both top
ears of the alternator and the bracket.  Behind the head
of this big bolt is a big washer, spreading the load to the
slot in the bracket.  The other end of this big bolt, at
the other upper ear of the alternator, was free.

The skinny bolt has a big hex screw thingy at the outboard
end, it moves the bracket back and forth, tightening the belt.

I assume, though I haven't dug into it that far yet, that
there is also a pivot bolt at the bottom of the alternator.

-- Jim