Oops Didn't intentionally omit the 123 TD. But Andrew, you are a bit prejudiced huh? (nothing wrong with that!) I always, and still want a 240D 3.0 turbo or 240D 2.5 turbo with a 5 speed. The 123 and 124 both have strengths and weaknesses. Suspension is nicer in the 124, but the 123 is more comfortable for long distance.

In my book the W123 300TD wagon wins hand down.  Fun to drive,
economical, easy to work on, and highly practical.

Andrew
1983 300TD White/blue
1985 300TD Diamond blue/blue