My vote is for the 1980 300SD. Mine has around 415,000 miles and still is
almost 100% original. It was the last year of the 116 body (remember metal
before all the plastic on the 126 and later models). It's easy to work on, lots
of engine compartment room, no EGR, and the only big weakness was the Chrysler
servo A/C component. It rides great and is wonderful on long trips. It still
gets around 28mpg on the road, starts good, etc. This car still has the
original engine, trans, exhaust system, etc. The only big replacement was my
wife went temporarily insane about 10 years ago and had the leather and pads
replaced, still looks great, but cost a bunch. Otherwise, it's fuel and oil
changes.
I wouldn't swap the engine or change the things on this car. It was great as
built with minimal electronics to foul the works.
So, that's my vote.
Best Wishes,
Roger Hale
Monroe, Ga.