Perhaps if you could work out a ballpark figure of the cost to convert from auto to manual, including clutch pedal, flywheel, slave and master cylinder, etc? Although I would think it would be uneconomical if the only benefit is to save a few dollars on fuel, you have to consider that MB aimed to be as efficient as possible when they designed the drivetrain. How many miles of highway travel would need to be done to recoup costs? However if someone is faced with a worn out auto (or has a buyer for the auto box), then a conversion may make sense financially. I converted a 230E from auto to manual but was easy because I had all the parts out of a donor car and reused the auto out of the 230E in my Mum's 190E.

Hendrik

Marshall Field wrote:
Many thanks to all of you who have responded to this marketing
question   Each and every
question and response helps me in the project.