Perhaps you need to change the diff gears ---

Yup!  But I don't have the 'right' one.  I have the original
from the '84 2.2 donor car, but that's not the ratio that MB
used for the real 2.5 manuals.  So, do I want to do all that
work for a potentially sub-optimal result, or wait/pay for the
right one?  Dilemma!

...or drop in a turbo engine. I'm sure a 2.5 turbo has enough torque at 2500rpm to push a W201 down the road at 70mph.

The 2.5 has enough torque.  It's just that every gear feels
'wrong' somehow.  I can drive a stick, reasonably well as
I have been doing so since about age 12, but this thing
still has me bucking and snorting, surging, etc. like my
wife, who resents having had to learn a stickshift (because
of our truck) and never fails to point that out to me.  (How
good can you ever get at something you hate?)

It finally sank in that the rear end ratio is wrong so I've
been envisioning a shorter gearing, which to my mind seems
to fix everything I don't like.  'Diesel' torque (this car
drives like a puny gasser), shift points at slower road speeds,
and a need to use fifth gear on the highway.  Yeah, baby!

-- Jim