Jim,
You make a really excellent point here:  MB is really good at engineering
cars, and they always have been.  So often I read posts on forums about how
fast someone's engine is turning on the highway and they're looking for a
way to correct it.  This seems especially common with W111 and W108 6
cylinder cars.

The real solution:  If the high engine speed bothers you for some reason
(noise, vibration, etc), then something in your car needs to be fixed, not
reengineered!

Now, its fun to fool around with this stuff and mix and match parts
sometimes.  But achieving a final result that is truly reliable, works well
in all driving conditions, all weather, and is generally of high quality is
very difficult.  Its also worth noting that everyone's definition of quality
is different, and quality is a relative thing!

Jaime
'82 300Dt 4 speed (its nice, but not factory nice)