No rod or muscle car is going to be as safe as a modern car.  Having said
that, I would think if you're doing a rod, you can update it with some
modern features, like better seats for neck protection,modern steering
columns, etc., along with proper belts.  I prefer hardtops over drop tops,
not that the old ones offered great roll over protection.  Partial rollover
bars can be added if you want.  More than crash protection, I think with
these old machines, building in crash avoidance wherever you can (like
modern disk brakes, etc), and most of all, driving it with the respect that
an old car with limited crash protection offers, is the way to go.

The benefit of going to a muscle car, or building a musle car, is that there
are many vendors offereing body and mechanical bits for cars like Stangs and
Chevs.  With a true rod, many of the bits will most like have  to be custom,
and I'm now sure that really the way to go for a first time project.  There
are lots of part finished rods sitting around, were people just got tired of
them, and walked away.

Either way, good luck with the venture.

Ed
300E