I like the Caprice or Impala SS from the early 90's. Not so many around now though. There were lots of cheap beat up ones at one time as the police forces used them. My son might be convinced to go for something like that.
He needs it to be good sized as he is 6'3".

Randy

On 21/06/2011 2:16 PM, Max Dillon wrote:
Caprice Classic wagon?

  Very respectfully,
/s/
Max Dillon
'87 300TD 334k miles (Off with the head!)
'95 E300 283k miles (daily driving duties)
'73 Balboa 20 (High&  dry until the head is back on)
Charleston SC

________________________________
From: Randy Bennell<rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: Mercedes Discussion List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tue, June 21, 2011 2:54:03 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Classic Cars?

My 22 year old mechanic son has a desire to build a hot rod type classic car. He
works for a shop that does that sort of thing and that has fanned the flame, so
to speak.

In any event, I have been thinking of encouraging and participating to some
extent as he lacks the cash to do it right now. He has moved out onto his own
with his girl friend and they are learning to pay rent etc.

So, my reason for posting this is to ask a question.

What do you folks think is one of the safer classic cars?

Please do not say Mercedes unless you wish to hear tales of how we stuffed a
small block Chevy into it as that is the most likely result.

I could go for one of the gasser MB's but he will not wish to do so and the
point of this is him rather than me.

I am sort of guessing that newer is generally better to some extent.

For example, one of the 80's Chevy Monte Carlos or Mustangs is likely a better
choice than a 55 Chevy in terms of accident protection.

He will not be concerned about this sort of thing, but I am and as his father, I
would like to steer him in that direction without disclosing that as my purpose.

So, what think you all?

Randy