On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM,  <roger...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Tim,
> Sorry for your specific problems, but once again a list member has added
> entertainment to my day. I know a lot of you guys like to do things yourself
> (save money, improve self-esteem, more macho, etc.) and I'm always waiting
> for the "it worked fine, but now....". Yes, I'm older and lazier as I used to
> work on my cars a lot when I was younger, but now I leave things to my Indie.
> So, when he tells me "it worked fine, but now...", he has to find the
gremlin and fix it. Plus, he has all of the manuals and training to
know where to look.
----

Well, this was an aftermarket addition, so I don't know if your Indie
would approve. :)

Unfortunately I've yet to find a good Indie (or dealer for that
matter) within 30 minutes' drive, everyone around here seems to employ
monkeys who just break things, charge me $500, and then annoy me until
I get fed up and redo the job myself.  (Every single thing beyond oil
has cost $500.  It is really strange.) I think all the good mechanics
have gone into management, or quit to start their own shops and -then-
gone into management.

Once a garage called me back to see how my visit was; I said, "you
overfilled the transmission by several quarts." The woman acted
annoyed, but had the shop manager call me back. "How do you know it
was overfilled?" "I used the dipstick at idle, like the manual says."
"Oh." Then he hung up, didn't answer calls henceforth, never heard
back from woman either.  And this is one of the most reputable shops
in the area.  I wound up topsiding the excess out, it wasn't hard just
annoying.  The "alignment" where the car steers to the left and has a
newly-loose steering wheel was a different shop (also one of the
better ones) but at least they got the brakes right.  I hope.

Not even getting into work I have had done on the Ford, which
fortunately has been all maintenance. [Yes, I did pay $500 for the
visit where they used an impact wrench on my drain plug, but that was
a dealer.  The oil changes alone at the dealer are only $60, what a
deal.]

Anyway, I am becoming used to the idea that the local mechanics* are
idiots, frauds, and/or have no idea how a car without a computer might
work, and that if I want a job done I have to put the car out of
service and do it myself (usually twice the first time), versus paying
for someone to do it wrong and then having to redo it myself anyway.
It is hardly worth my time driving all around the region, filing BBB
complaints, etc., when I can just do it the fix properly - eventually
- and have done with it, in the comfort of my driveway and without
having to schedule SWMBO to transport the kids and/or rearrange work.

One day I'll probably get tired of it, buy a commodity car, and let it
get trashed over 100K.  Then sell it to the junkyard and buy a new
one.  Like every Chrysler owner.  Welcome back Snook. :)

*It occurs to me that I've never had problems with the tire
departments at Sam's.  Maybe they have hired away all the good
mechanics?

> Anyway, I hope all is well or gets well, but you've provided my days
> entertainment.

Glad to be of service.  I figure, if my radio comes on when I open the
door, and you are amused, then at least one of us has a radio.

> Thanks and good luck and best wishes,

You too.

Sincerely on that last bit, at least,
-Tim
knows Wilton has an indie in Raleigh, but that's almost 45 minutes one
way so I reserve him for hard tasks... in other words, haven't gotten
there yet, but every time I go to someone local for this stupid easy
maintenance junk, and they mess it up, I wish I had...