On 23/06/2011 1:22 PM, Tim C wrote:

Unfortunately I've yet to find a good Indie (or dealer for that
matter) within 30 minutes' drive, everyone around here seems to employ
monkeys who just break things, charge me $500, and then annoy me until
I get fed up and redo the job myself.  (Every single thing beyond oil
has cost $500.  It is really strange.) I think all the good mechanics
have gone into management, or quit to start their own shops and -then-
gone into management.

Or, they have been beaten down by management and owners. My younger son is a licenced mechanic working in a shop owned by someone else. He just shakes his head at what he is told to do sometimes, but they don't, in most cases, want his opinion if he does not agree. He sometimes has to bite his tongue and do what he has been instructed to do even when he knows it is going to be a problem that comes back.
Makes it difficult to take pride in one's work.

Once a garage called me back to see how my visit was;

I had this too, from a body shop that repaired my Suburban years ago. They were really into the whole customer appreciation thing. Too bad they had not been into proper fixing of vehicles. When I picked up the truck the manager, or whatever he was, took me out and showed me the truck and instructed me to notice that it was clean in and out. The front bumper was crooked and there was still a small crease in the leading edge of the hood that they had not attended to. This was on an insurance claim where they were no doubt charging to do a good job. I commented on these things and he essentially brushed me off. I got a bit annoyed but told him that I could fix the bumper myself if they were not able to figure out how. He told me Chevy's are like that. I said, all you need to do is grind the bolt holes a bit elongated and all will be well from a visual point of view. I don't think he understood what I meant.

A week or so later I got a call from the shop on a followup basis. When she asked if I was happy, I told her that I had expressed my unhappiness when I picked up the vehicle and asked why she thought I should now be happy since they had not offered to correct the deficiencies. She was dumbstruck. Needless to say, I have not been back there or told anyone else anything but my bad opinon of them.
Anyway, I am becoming used to the idea that the local mechanics* are
idiots, frauds, and/or have no idea how a car without a computer might
work, and that if I want a job done I have to put the car out of
service and do it myself (usually twice the first time), versus paying
for someone to do it wrong and then having to redo it myself anyway.
It is hardly worth my time driving all around the region, filing BBB
complaints, etc., when I can just do it the fix properly - eventually
- and have done with it, in the comfort of my driveway and without
having to schedule SWMBO to transport the kids and/or rearrange work.

I agree that the best way is to do it yourself if it is within your abilities. Sometimes it is just not really possible to do things at home. A few years back I had to have the clutch replaced in the F150 that my younger son was driving. He was still in school so not yet working in the shops. It was winter and the slave cylinder went out. We could not leave it like that or we would ruin the transmission and it was not really a job to do without a hoist etc. It cost an arm and a leg and was never quite the same afterwards but they did a good competant job so far as I can say. They used and aftermarket clutch kit and that was likely why it felt different afterwards.

There are good people out there. It just is a bit hard to find them. I think you need to give them a reason to treat you well too. I belong to 2 different business clubs. If I get work done at the shops who are members of the club, they appear to bend over to ensure I am happy. They don't want me to say anything bad about them at the club. The whole idea is to generate referrals and obviously they want people like me to send other customers to them. Even if you are not in that situation, I suggest you hint strongly that you can send work their way if you are happy with their service and then do your best to actually get them some work if you are happy with them. Nothing like a bit of incentive.

Randy